Questions re: Going to the King's Village, Ghana
The King’s Village
- Current work
- Aims for the future, plus plans
- Is the King’s Village in a village or self-contained?
- Who are the other staff? Ghanaian?
- How are the local communities involved?
- How near / far are the places where people using school / medical centre live?
- What do you want me to do?
- What do you want me to have achieved by the end of the year?
- Who will I be working with / for?
- If I get stuck, who do I see?
- What hours do you want me to work?
- Will I have time off? (weekly / holiday / if family / friends visited)
- Where will I be working?
- What equipment will I need to use? Is it provided?
- On my own / with a family / other?
- Type of accommodation (running water, electricity, windows, mosquito nets..)
- Do I need to bring bedding, towels etc? Or can I buy it there? Is it provided?
- Do I need a mosquito net? Or mosquito coils or plug in device?
- How secure is it?
- Cook for myself?
- What type of food is available and where? Market?
- Will I be given money for food?
- Any foods to avoid e.g. if uncooked?
- Can I drink the water?
- Can I wear trousers?
- What length do skirts / dresses need to be? (knee, ankle, other)
- Do I need to cover my shoulders? Sleeves a certain length?
- Do you wear Western or African clothing?
- Can I buy / get clothes made locally? Cost?
- What types of shoes are appropriate?
- Will I ever need jumper / fleece / rain coat / coat?
- When is it dry / humid / wet?
Local Culture and Religion
- What language/s? Can I learn some?
- What religion/s?
- Any do’s and don’ts to be culturally sensitive / appropriate?
- I have my nose pierced. Is that ok?
Church and Pastoral Support
- Where are the local church/es?
- What language is spoken at the Church (especially for teaching)?
- How is the King’s Village linked to local churches?
- What spiritual support / input will there be locally?
- Will I have access to post / telephone / email? Where? How often?
- How reliable are these services?
- Approximate costs?
- How do I get from the airport to The King’s Village?
- Once in The King’s Village will I need to travel elsewhere for work / shops / communication / accommodation? How?
- Cost of transport (if I need to use any)?
- Do you take anti-malarial tablets?
- Is meningitis ACWY vaccine necessary?
- Any medicines etc that I should bring with me?
- What is the availability of medication for pain relief, sore throat etc?
- Should I bring traveller’s cheques? Which currency and denomination?
- Exchange rate to pound approximately?
- How and where can I withdraw money from my bank account?
- Do I need to set up a bank account in Ghana?
- How will I receive support (food and accommodation) from The Christian Centre?
- Are house / room lockable?
- Where can I keep passport, money etc safely?
- How safe is it for me as a single white woman?
- Can I take a digital camera? Possibly laptop?
- Do you recommend a company for travel and health insurance?
- Do I need to be covered for specific activities such as riding a motorbike?
Support from The Christian Centre
- You will provide accommodation, food and cost of visa?
- Have you confirmed with Key Travel that I am working for you?
- Will I receive mentoring and discipleship like other interns? (either in Ghana or long distance)
- What spiritual support will you provide?
- Will you pray for me in Church before I go? When?
- Can I receive sermon tapes / cds? How often?
- If I have any problems, who do I contact?
- What support will I receive in deciding what I do after this year?
- What do you want to receive from me? Newsletters?
Friends and Family Supporting Me
- Do you have leaflets / info packs / presentation I can share with friends and family who want to know more about what I will be doing / want to support me or the project? Also for school’s and churches.
- Can I have visitors? E.g. my mum wants to visit me, and possibly other family or friends.